Uncountable nouns are things we cannot count. Let's see the following examples.
No Plural Uncountable Noun
A Determiner Before Uncountable Nouns
- the music
- some gold
- a little salt
- much excitement
- his blood
No Indefinite Articles Before Uncountable Nouns
- This ring is made of gold.
- Water becomes more and more expensive.
Nouns That Can Be Countable And Uncountable
- I bought a paper. ( = a newspaper - countable)
- I bought some paper. ( = material for writing on - uncountable noun)
- There's a hair in my meatball soup. ( = one single hair - countable noun)
- Jane has beautiful hair. (= hair on her head - uncountable noun)
Uncountable Nouns That Can Be Countable In Other Languages
- I'm looking for accommodation. (not' an accommodation')
- I'm going to buy some bread. (or 'a loaf of bread '; but not ' a bread')
- Tom gave me some good advice. ( not 'some good advices')
- Where are you going to put all your furniture? ? (not 'furnitures')
- The news is very depressing today . ( not 'the news are ... ')
- We had a good journey . ( not ' a good travel ')
- Good news ( don't, doesn't ) make people interested.
- Ann has got very beautiful ( hair, hairs).
- We haven't bought any ( furnitures, furniture ) yet.
- I need ( a bread, some bread ) to make some sandwiches.
- I'm going to write an application letter. I need ( a, some) writing paper.
- More and more people look for a ( work, job ) each year.
- The police asked for some ( information, informations ) from those two witnesses.
- Have you got any ( luggage, luggages) ?
- The teacher often gives the students ( advice, advices )
- What a lovely ( view, scenery ).
- Good news doesn't make people interested.
- Ann has got very beautiful hair.
- We haven't bought any furniture yet.
- I need some bread to make some sandwiches.
- I'm going to write an application letter. I need some writing paper.
- More and more people look for a job each year.
- The police asked for some information from those two witnesses.
- Have you got any luggage ?
- The teacher often gives the students advice.
- What a lovely view.