Question Tags Explanation
Question TagsWe use questions tags ( a mini question ) on the end of our sentences to request for confirmation or to really ask questions. To see the difference, see the following explanations.
- You haven't got a car, have you?
- It was a nightmare, wasn't it?
- She came home by taxi, didn't she?
- Your boyfriend will be here soon, won't he?
- She goes to work by car, doesn't she?
- They were very sad, weren't they?
- You came home last night, didn't you?
- Your girlfriend won't be here soon, will she?
- She doesn't like party, does she?
- They weren't very happy, were they?
- You didn't come home last night, did you?
- You're not going to school today, are you? Yes. ( = I am going ) or No ( = I'm not going. )
- You're going to school today, aren't you? Yes. (=I am going ) or No (=I'm not going. )
|Main Sentence||The Auxiliary For Question Tag|
| Present Simple Tense|
Example : She goes to work by car.
| do ( I, you, we, they )|
does ( he, she, it )
| Past Simple Tense|
Example : My father came home late last night.
|did ( all subject )|
| Present Perfect Tense|
Example : You have stopped smoking. She has gone home.
| have ( I, you, we, they )|
has ( he, she, it )
| Present Continuous Tense|
Example : She is sleeping right now.
| are ( you )|
is ( he, she, it )
am ( I )
| Past Perfect Tense|
Example : She had got a luxurious house before she became an artist.
|had ( all subject )|
| Sentences with modals|
She will get cold.
You can fly a helicopter.
| Depends on the modal in the main sentence.|
- Open the window, will you?
- Don't be noisy, will you?
- Get the phone for me, won't you?
- Let's dance, shall we?
- I'm late, aren't I?
- hardly ever
- She never comes late, does she?
- We seldom see our parents, do we?
- Everybody loves her, don't they?
- Somebody entered our house last night, didn't they?
- Your father's at home, ... ?
- Susan doesn't like chicken, ... ?
- I am funny, .......?
- You've got a camera, ... ?
- He won't mind if I go early, ... ?
- There are a lot of people here, ... ?
- This is very boring, ... ?
- You wouldn't tell anyone, ...
- Listen, ... ?
- I shouldn't have got angry, ... ?
- She had gone home before we came here, ....?
- They had to go home, ... ?
- Everybody's happy, ...?
- She seldom sees her parents in the village, ...?
- Let's go,....?