Present Simple Short Explanation
Habitual ActionsPresent Simple is used when we talk about habitual actions. We do not use Present Simple to talk about something which is happening at the time of speaking. Let's see the following examples !
- I work in a bank. ( Though you are in bed on Sunday now and you are not working )
- My sister chats with her boyfriend every day.
General TruthPresent Simple is also used to talk about general truth or something which happens forever. Let's see the following examples !
- Water boils at 100 degrees centigrade.
- The earth goes around the sun.
Negative Sentences And QuestionsIn Present Simple negative sentences and questions we use do or does. Let's see the following examples !
- The sun does not go around the earth.
- Water does not boil at 20 degrees centigrade.
- Where do you come from?
- Do you speak English?
Subject That Takes Verb + s/esIn Present Simple subject he, she and it must be followed by verb with s or es. Let's see the following examples !
- She works on a ship.
- I have a cat. It eats fish.
- My boyfriend is good looking. He comes from Romania.
do not wash
Where do you work?
Why don't you go to bed?
does not wash
Where does he work?
Why doesn't he go to bed?
Present Simple ExercisesIn this exercise we are going to practice changing the verb into the correct form. Let's see the examples first!
- The bank ..........(open) at 8 o'clock. The bank opens at 8 o'clock.
- What time .....the bank....(close)? What time does the bank close?
2. Normally water ...(flow) downward.
3. I....(not smoke).
4. Sue...(work) in a bank.
5. I never...(go) to the cinema.
6. She ...(have) breakfast every morning.
7. The motorcycle often ....(break) down.
8. Who....you (see) on Saturdays?
9. What ....'hacker' (mean)?
10."What ....you (do)?" "I'm a web designer."