Past Perfect Continuous Short ExplanationThe Past Perfect Continuous is used to say how long something had been happening before something else happened in the past. Let's see the following examples :
- The tennis match had to be stopped. They had been playing for five sets when there was a terrible storm.
- George had been living in Plymouth for 30 years when he decided to move to London last year.
- How long have you been smoking (until now) ? The Present Perfect Continuous
- HoYw long had you been smoking when you got lung cancer ? The Past Perfect continuous
Write a sentence based on the situation given !
Let's see the examples first!
- We began playing volley ball ten minutes ago. Suddenly the storm came. You write : We had been playing volley ball for ten minutes when suddenly the storm came.
2. I had arranged to meet Jane in a cafe. I arrived and began waiting. After half an hour I realized that I had come to the wrong cafe.
3. The band began playing at the concert. After ten minutes a man began shouting.