Verbs Followed By -Ing or To Infinitive
The Same MeaningThe following verbs or expressions are usually followed by -ing or to infinitive. They have the same meaning.
- can't bear
- can't stand
- The president began talking. Or The president began to talk.
- My girlfriend started crying. Or My girlfriend started to cry.
- I intend marrying her. Or I intend to marry her.
- They continued arguing about who have done the corruption. Or They continued to argue about who have done the corruption.
- Please remember to lock the door before you leave the house while I'm away.
- I remembered locking the door of my house but I didn't remember where I put the key. So, I couldn't enter the house.
- Don't forget to call me when you get there.
- My grandfather was searching for his money. He thought he lost it. In fact, he forgot spending it buying newspapers.
- I wanted to watch Barca versus Real Madrid last night. I tried to keep my eyes open but I couldn't.
- My baby kept on crying last night. I tried giving him milk but it didn't help. He continued crying.
- When I was five, I remembered ( going , to go ) to Paris with my parents.
- On the way to school, please don't forget ( posting, to post ) this letter for me.
- She could remember ( driving, to drive ) the car before the accident happened.
- When I was five, I remembered going to Paris with my parents.
- On the way to school, please don't forget to post this letter for me.
- She could remember driving the car before the accident happened.