During - While
During and while are different. They are not interchangeable. Let's see the difference.
We use during to say when something happens. During is followed by noun. Example : during our holiday, during the meeting, during the war, etc. Let's see the following examples.
- I fell asleep during the play.
- I met a beautiful girl during our holiday.
- A lot of soldier died during the war.
We use while to say when something happens. While is followed by a clause ( Subject + Predicate ). Let's see the following examples.
- I fell asleep while the play was going on.
- I met a beautiful girl while we were on holiday.
- The students looked bored while they were studying English.
In this exercise you have to complete the sentences with during or while.
- The phone rang .... we were having dinner last night.
- The baby fell asleep ....the meal.
- George read a lot of books .......he was ill.
- The naughty boys were making noise .... the teacher was speaking.
- .... we were in Paris, we stayed in a very comfortable hotel.
- Someone rang the bell .... we were sleeping.
- My father was painting the house ... his day-off.
- Please don't be noisy ... the baby is sleeping.
- His leg suddenly began to pain... the football match.
- I saw the accident ... I was waiting for the bus.